Module 3: Access Method Services (AMS)
IDCAMS- LISTCAT Command
- IDCAMS- LISTCAT command is used to list and view the attributes and characteristics of VSAM or non-VSAM entries.
- LISTCAT stands for LISTing of CATalog entry.
- This command provide us with detailed information about any specified entries. That information includes space allocation information, password and security related information, usage characteristics, creation and expiration date etc.
Syntax format 1:LISTCAT - [ENTRIES(entry-name1 [entry-name2…])] - [object-type] - [optional-paramter]
Syntax format 2:LISTCAT - [LEVEL(level)] - [object-type] - [optional-paramter]
- entry-name specifies the file name for which we want to view details. You can list and view multiple file-entries with single LISTCAT command
- level specifies the level of qualification at which to begin listing. For example, LEVEL(PROD.BACKUP) will list all the entries whose first two qualifiers are PROD and BACKUP. We can also code asterisk (*) as wild card character to indicate any name at that level. For example, PROD.*.SRCLIB will list all entries whose first and third qualifiers are PROD and SRCLIB
- object-type can be ALIAS, ALTERNATEINDEX, CLUSTER, GENERATIONDATAGROUP, INDEX, LIBRARYENTRY, NONVSAM, PAGESPACE, PATH, USERCATALOG, VOLUMERNTRY
- Below is the most important optional parameter of LISTCAT:-
Parameter Description NAME | HISTORY | VOLUME | ALLOCATION | ALL
- This parameter is used to specify the fields to be included for each entry listed
- When specified NAME, lists the name and type of the entries
- When specified HISTORY, lists the following information for each entries:- name, type of the entry, owner-id, creation date, expiration date, release, status (if entry is GDG or non-VSAM),.
- When specified VOLUME, lists all the information provided by specifying HISTORY, plus it also list the volume serial numbers and device types allocated to the entries
- When specified ALLOCATION, lists all the information provided by specifying VOLUME, plus it also list the detailed information about the space allocation
- When specified ALL, lists all the information specified in above options plus some other information such as CA-RECLAIM, and fields under ATTRIBUTES, and STATISTICS
Use of LISTCAT command to display all information about KSDS file
//LISTCATK EXEC PGM=IDCAMS //SYSPRINT DD SYSOUT=* //SYSIN DD * LISTCAT - ENTRIES(PAYT.PAYROLL.PRCSKSDS.MSTR) - CLUSTER - ALL /*