Module 4: JCL DD Statement
CONCATENATION OF DATASET
You can logically connect or concatenate sequential or partitioned input datasets in a job step. This allows naming of more than one dataset in a single input file without physically combining them. To concatenate, code the DD name for first DATASET only and eliminate the DD name from 2nd and succeeding DATASETs
- Up to 16 partitioned dataset can be concatenated together
- Up to 255 sequential dataset can be concatenated together
- LRECL and record format should be same
- If block size is different, then dataset with largest block size should be coded first
- Dataset may reside on different devices and device types.
- Cannot mix sequential and partitioned dataset. Can concatenate PDS members with sequential data sets.