Module 2: VSAM Concepts
LDS – Linear Data Set
- An LDS dataset is similar to ESDS in terms of organization.
- A linear data set (LDS) contains data that can be accessed as byte-addressable strings.
- In LDS, Control Interval size must be multiples of 4096 bytes
- LDS have only data component.
- LDS CI does not have control information and thus CI do not maintain CIDF or RDF
- Thus, all bytes are data bytes.
- Mostly used by DB2, which is IBM’s primary relational management system
- You specify the LDS organization with the IDCAMS DEFINE command specifying the LINEAR parameter.
- Below figure depicts internal organization of LDS